Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Can Deny It No Longer

Growing up, it seemed I was surrounded by engineers.  Everything had to be analyzed ad nauseam.  The world was entirely black and white, there were no shades of gray.  I decided to rebel against that and become the anti-engineer.  I fully denied any and all inner tendencies associated with what I perceived to be an engineering mindset. 

However, it is hard to escape genetics.  The first step came about 13 years ago when I came to recognize and embrace my inner analytic. 

Yesterday while working on my snow blower I had a crushing discover.  It started so innocently.  I was merely removing the belly pan from the machine to lubricate the appropriate surfaces.  I removed four bolts, pulled the pan and to my shock and horror, I found myself delighted, enthralled, exubrant, even about what lay in front of me.

This is in high gear



I pulled out my phone, started taking pictures and marveled over the design that had been revealed.  I was aware at the appalling implications of this discovery, but I couldn't help myself.  I then began moving the gear levers to confirm what I suspected and marveled even more.  The shear ingeniousness of the design and the simplicity of it was awe inspiring to me.

This is in low gear


Here it is in reverse



I guess I can deny it no longer.  Inside of me there is a mini-engineer trying to find his way out. 

1 comment:

  1. Hehe... I can't help but think of the Borg: "be assimilated."

    I wonder how Dale is doing in this regard! :)

    ReplyDelete