Monday, April 4, 2011

Does God Peek While We Are Asleep?

I confess, I peak into my children's rooms every night just to get one more look. Right before I climb into bed I sneak in their rooms and gaze at them resting quietly in the glow of their respective nightlights. This always fills my heart with happiness and joy regardless of what transpired during the day. All of this got me to thinking. Does God "sneak" into my room at night just to get one more look? Does he love me so much that he wants just a little more of me? Is his heart filled with joy and happiness when he looks at me?

While He was on earth, Jesus often illustrated His points with illustrations that argued from the lessor to the greater. For instance in Luke 11:11-13 he says:
"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
One of the fascinating things about fatherhood is how it re-shapes my perspective on God. It is hard to believe that God would love me so much that he would "sneak into my room" to have just a little more time with me. Yet if I, an earthly father, love my children that much, how much more does our heavenly Father love his children? Children can sense extravagant love and they gravitate to it. Do we really sense his extravagant love? Are we irresistibly drawn into his presence?

1 comment:

  1. Many parents have said similar things, Steve. You put it quite eloquently. I probably miss out on a lot of these experiences since I don't have children. Further, my own father died when I was quite young (11). Nevertheless, I appreciate the message and will try to take it to heart.

    ReplyDelete