Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Purpose of Power

Have you ever had the experience where you are reading something for the umpteenth time and you are arrested by a thought or concept that never occurred to you in all of the previous readings? I had that experience (again) this week. I was reading the book of John when I came across this:
It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
Typically when I read chapter 13 I am focused on the events that are beginning to unfold and what will happen in the hours ahead. And while I recognize the servant leadership theme here, the why of it never really hit me until Monday morning. I was particularly struck by the fact that "the Father had put all things under his power" and his response was to stop what he was doing (eating) and take on the role relegated to servants (foot washing).

I then began to reflect: how do I handle power? While the Father has not placed all things under my power, he has placed some things there. What is my response to that? When I am interacting with my children, my wife, my co-workers and church members, do I hold my little piece of power over them? Do I demand that others suffer inconvenience in order to fulfill my desires and dreams? Or do I willingly inconvenience myself in order to better the lives of others?

Jesus knew who he was, he knew what he was about, he knew where he was headed and he knew what his purpose was. Because of what he knew, he was freed to serve. Can I say the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment