Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Vintage? Or Just Old?

I've been feeling a bit old lately.  It's good that our kids are young, otherwise I fear I would descend this slippery slope with great rapidity.  On occasion I find myself telling stories of yesteryear and realize that my audience is looking at me like I am from another planet.  I mean really, 8-tracks were cool, its not like they were wax records or something!  I admit that I was somewhat proud of my ability to keep those old tapes working with a little TLC, some Vaseline and an old matchbook.  And hey, there is even a National 8 Track Day, although I am two days behind on that already.  Must be my age.

There are lots of reasons I have been in a vintage state of mind, but sometimes all it takes is just a picture.  Yesterday it was this 1966 Plymouth Hemi Satellite which is going on the auction block soon.  Of course, once one begins to imbibe the wine of nostalgia, it is difficult to set the glass down.  Finding myself in that heady state of nostalgic intoxication, it was only natural that I would find myself thinking of the B-52's. . . . "She drove a Plymouth Satellite, faster than the speed of light. . . "  Ah, those wild and wacky college days, slam dancing and acting like a complete idiot.  Hmmm, fun to remember, but maybe my current reality isn't so bad after all.

So that got me to thinking, what about my kids?  What will they be like in college?  Will they be wild and wacky? There have been a few signs along the way that have led me to be a bit concerned.

First there was this



And then came this


Soon the "Gothic" Jesus followed.


And now he has started "playing the drums."


Since he was "singing" about Clifford the big red dog there may be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be Crazy Train.

No comments:

Post a Comment