Saturday, April 23, 2011

Superman, Superman, I Wish I Could Fly Like Superman

Have you noticed that songs you listened to as a kid seem some much different as you age?  Not long ago I was listening to the radio when "Superman" began to play. 



I was fascinated by how well the lyrics captured the essence of being a man in middle age.  Let me excerpt some lyrics below . . .
I looked in the mirror and what did I see, a nine stone weakling with knobbly knees.  .  . I looked in the mirror at my pigeon chest I had to put on my clothes because it made me depressed. .  .

Woke up this morning and what did I see, a big black cloud hanging over me I switched on the radio and nearly dropped dead the news was so bad that I fell out of bed there was a gas strike, oil strike, lorry strike, bread strike got to be a superman to survive.  gas bills, rent bills, tax bills, phone bills, I'm such a wreck but I'm staying alive.  .  .

I'd really like to change the world and save it from the mess its in I'm too weak I'm so thin I'd like to fly but I can't even swim.  .  .  Superman, Superman, I want to fly like Superman.  Superman, Superman wish I could fly like Superman
 
  Deep within the souls of most men resides the desire for significance.  We want to be important, to be somebody, to make a difference, be a mover and a shaker, to be a hero.  Yet we are constantly accosted by the reality of our insignificance.  We put on a "tough" front, a "sophisticated" front.  We are diligent in our efforts to present to the world an exterior that says" hey, I've got it all together."  Yet for many men, their deepest fear is that they will be exposed and found to be a fraud.  That the world will see that we are not exactly what we purport to be.  That it will be revealed to everyone that we are really just a nine stone weakling with knobbly knees.

So we have a choice to make.  We can go one of two directions.  We can continue down a path that seeks its answers in more education, achievements, promotions, hoping that the plaudits of those around us will enure to the benefit of our inner soul.  Or we can seek our answer in the one who created us, the one who knows us best.

Deep down most of us know that the answer does not reside in more "effort" on our part.  By the time we reach middle age we are starting to realize that another self help book, or more discipline or an additional degree or a  promotion, or another award will not fulfill the need that resides deep within us.  Sure, reading, discipline and degrees can be good things, but they are not the ultimate answer in and of themselves.

How then does one find ultimate significance? The Lord spoke to the prophet Jeremiah, saying:  "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;"  Really?  The God of the universe has us in mind before our conception even takes place?  And he even has our mission set out for us before we even exist?  We are that significant to God?

When the Apostle Paul wrote the Church of Ephesus regarding their identity in Christ he reminded them that their lives also had purpose! "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  We see the same theme repeated here again!  Not only has God created us, but he has significant work for us to do!

But what about our fear of being found out, that others will discover that we are indeed a nine stone weakling who is overwhelmed by the challenges that surround us everyday?  St. Paul encouraged the church in Corinth, reminding them that "we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God, and not from us.  We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."  Here we have our substantial answer.  It is in our weakness that God's glory and strength is seen most profoundly.  We have been created by him for meaningful purpose and significant work in his kingdom.  Yet, we can only accomplish this work and fulfill our ultimate purpose through his power and strength.  When we stop relying on our selves, our efforts, our knowledge and instead commit ourselves to the will, the way and the wonder of him who created us, we will indeed find that we can fly like Superman!

No comments:

Post a Comment